Re Gato/a

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Feb 26 14:17:23 UTC 2001

Further searching for Spanish "gato"/"gata" = "vagina" confirms (I guess)
the principle that -- just as almost every verb refers to the sex act --
almost every noun refers to a sex organ -- in Spanish as well as in English.

David Burke's "Street Spanish Slang Dictionary and Thesaurus" (Wiley, 1999)
gives "gata" = "vagina". I wasn't able to find it anywhere else. Presumably
it is uncommon or very new or regionally restricted. I suspect it's from
English (translation of "pussy") (also could be from French as Jan Ivarsson
[I think] suggested).

There is also "minino"/"minina" (= "kitten"/"kitty"), given by Burke as =
"vagina". I found one instance of this = "penis" on the Web. These are
given as children's words, spoken to or by the children, as I understand it.

-- Doug Wilson