dialect in novels

Salikoko Mufwene mufw at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Feb 27 23:02:35 UTC 2001

For the past four years, I have taught a class titled "Dialect Voices in
Literature," in which there are usually a handful of African-American
students.
We have consistently declared Alice Walker's representation of AAE in The
Color
Purple rather stereotypical, if not inept. An earlier example of such
misrepresentation may be found in Richard Wright's Uncle Tom's Children.

    What led me to offer this course is sheer accident. About 6 years ago, I
stumbled on a novel by Albert French (an African American), titled Billy.
It was
acclaimed on the back cover as the best novel written in dialect since Tony
Morrison's Beloved. The setting is on a cotton plantation of Mississippi in
the
1940s. I was appalled when I skimmed through it right there in the
bookstore. I
thought the language of the White characters should have been in the mouths of
the Black characters (too) and that of the Black characters belonged in
no-man's land. However, the plot was impeccably put together.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                        s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
University of Chicago                      773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1010 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/humanities/linguistics/faculty/mufwene.html