Ameliorated words of offensive origin

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Feb 27 23:32:21 UTC 2001

Some which I've addressed on this list: "bollix", "bugger", "bugger's
grips", "[knacker/knicker]/[pile of] pants", "jock[strap]".

Probably "poppycock". Possibly "putter [around]".

Words of varying offensiveness: "sod[omite]", "bloody", "screwed up",
"screw around", "suck".

I think Mencken addressed this subject to some extent. I think he said
"bag" was replaced by "sack" in some US regions because of an imagined
scrotal reference, for example. But maybe I misremember.

To this day some find "belly" offensive.

Along with "niggardly" there is "picnic" recently.

There are quite a few of these.

-- Doug Wilson