nookie

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 2 08:02:32 UTC 2001

>Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU> writes:
>

>Oh dear--we used to pronounce the name of the German-made pacifier our son
>used (a Nuk) as [nUk].  I wonder where the brand name came from, and if
>other users were as naive as we were?
><<<<<
>
>And that's probably the right pronunciation, same as obsolescent (IMHO)
>English "nook" 'corner'. What bothered me was when people added a
>diminutive /i/ ~= "-ie" to it (prob. from its use with babies and
>baby-talk)!
>

>-- Mark

Is "nook" really obsolescent?  We had a "breakfast nook" in our
apartment when I was growing up and I've come across various "shady
nooks" and "quiet nooks" since, not to mention "nooks and crannies".
It's a lovely old word, going back to the 14th century, and I prefer
to think that rumors of its obsolescence are somewhat, if not
grossly, exaggerated.  Now, CRANNY...

larry