"chad" in 1952

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Jan 3 16:52:24 UTC 2001

   One of the pleasant developments from the WSJ article on Barry
Popik yesterday is an e-mail I received pertaining to "chad." The
writer (Mr. Chris Jensen) remembers the word from 1952 and directs
attention to the US Army's teletype machines. This jibes with the
observations of Fred Shapiro to the already noticed earliest
attestation (1947) from the Merriam-Webster files. Perhaps the most
significant part of the e-mail is Mr. Jensen's mentioning the
manufacturer of the teletype machines (approximate name; "The
Teletype Corporation."). It's a lead to locating who might have
introduced "chad" into teletype jargon.

    Here now is Mr. Jensen's Jan. 2 e-mail message, followed by
material on 1947 "chad" from notes I have made in preparation for a
"chad" compilation (no conclusive etymology yet).

>If you are interested in the word Chad and its origin, you might
>have information pre-dating this, but if not:
>
>I trained in the US Army's teletype school in 1952. We pre-packaged
>the messages we had to send onto paper tape. When we were satisfied
>with our accuracy, we sent the message by "reading" the tape through
>the same machine that perforated it.
>
>The paper tape perforators came in two models, chad and chadless.
>The chad perforators punched out the paper, leaving a hole. The
>chadless perforators deliberately punched about 80% of the hole,
>leaving the now-illreputed "hanging chad." Chadless was attractive
>because we could edit it - patching in corrections in the form of
>other chadless stretches of tape by making its hanging chad push
>through the partial holes in the base document's tape. Sort of like
>editing cellulose movie film, except without the glue.
>
>Those machines had been in the Army since shortly after World War
>II, if not before. They were supplied by "The Teletype Corporation."
>or some supplier like that. You might get more of a 'final' answer
>from that corporation or its successor about where they learned
>about the expression 'chad.'

(from notes for a compilation, containing contributions of various
individuals; due credit will of course be given):