Cranny hole.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 3 14:02:58 UTC 2001

At 8:50 PM -0500 1/3/01, Tony Glaser wrote:
>>>Now, do you ever use or see the word outside of them?
>>As I remember, 'cranny hole' is a part of my vocabulary; this might be a
>>dialectal isogloss that goes with the (now dead and gone) California use of
>>'Chesterfield' for 'sofa'. I think of this as a difficult-to-use chunk of
>>space in a building. This can include space under stairs
>In England at least a space under the stairs could also be called a
>"glory-hole" rather than "cranny hole".
One wouldn't want to try using that variant with that meaning in the
U.S.  The term is already taken for a more...technical meaning.
(Check on if you want a handle on the denotation.)


More information about the Ads-l mailing list