MM (was: 2K1 & hello)

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Thu Jan 4 16:19:26 UTC 2001

Indigo Som <indigo at WELL.COM> writes:

Anyway, as a tangent to the above post, I wonder if anybody else was using
Roman numerals MM in their dates last year, eg 31/12/MM. I did it all year
but never saw anybody else do it. A few store clerks expressed confusion
(until I said "Roman numerals") but otherwise I never got any comment one
way or the other about it.
<<<<<

I had a special interest in last year's Roman designation, since MM is also
my initials. I write a lot of songs and often post them to lists or a
newsgroup (rec.music.filk) or my web site (
http://world.std.com/~mam/filks/), and on some of them I put the copyright
notice like this:
     Copyright MM MM

Though I didn't use that formulation with it, this song, written just after
last New Year's Eve, is appropriate to the topic. ("Ttto" is standard in
this subculture for "to the tune of".)

     ===================================

As I write this (in the year 2000), we are very close to the end of the
second millennium of the Gregorian Era. Some folks believe we're already
out of it and into the third. Regardless, we can all agree that the fun on
New Year's Eve lies in watching the digits turn over on the odometer, and
in that spirit I offer An Odometer Toast. (Chosen Best Humorous Song in the
"Looking Forward, Looking Back" theme contest at Conterpoint Three.)

          An Odometer Toast

     (For New Year's Eve 2000)
     Mark A. Mandel, copyright 2000
     ttto "The Marines' Hymn" ("From the halls of Montezuma...")

     From the day that each of us was born
     To the shores of Triple-Oh
     We have never known quite where we were
     Or just which way to go.
     As we stagger on from year to year
     At our ragged, stumbling pace
     Let us raise a glass and drink the health
     Of the struggling human race.

     Here's to those who make and move the stuff
     That keeps us all alive
     And to those whose charge is all our good
     That the common weal may thrive
     And to every woman, man, and child
     Born of Eve and Adam's line:
     May we all be doing twice as well