INDIAN vs. INJUN

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed Jan 10 02:26:42 UTC 2001

> << ...not to mention Indian rub or all the expressions with Injun. Now: talk
> about un-PC... >>
>
> well, I don't THINK that Barnhart's point was that compounds in/derivatives
> of INDIAN are by definition perjorative. Indian Summer? Indiana?
No, I don't think so either. But there seem to be a few expressions out
there that don't go down quite as easily as those on the list: Indian
giver and Indian burn come to mind. (And does anyone else have Dutch rub
and Indian rub [knuckles on the top of the head] as synonyms, whereas
an Indian burn is a two-handed twist of the skin on a forearm? I'll
apologize if it's in DARE, which is safely at home out of the rain.)
Is there a Dutch burn? (barn, yes...)

PR