"Popney" rhyming slang

Michael Gottlieb mdkgottlieb at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 10 12:50:00 UTC 2001

Inspired by Cockney rhyming slang, "Popney" rhyming
slang terms have been collected on London-based
www.music365.com since the site's owner overheard a
man in a pub ask for "Britney Spears" instead of "a
few beers."

Jay Kay, for instance, of Jamiroquai fame, means
takeaway.  "What with practicing his quirky dance
moves and keeping up with his banging social life, Jay
doesn't always have time to prepare a properly
balanced meal. Luckily cosmic Kay likes to keep one
step ahead of himself..."

Sample sentence: "I really can't be bothered to cook
tonight. Let's just grab a Jay on the way home."

RICKY MARTIN = SIDE PARTING

Sample sentence: "Just a little off the top, please
barber, and do us a Ricky Martin."

TINA TURNER = NICE LITTLE EARNER

Sample sentence: "I picked up ten videos for a ton and
sold 'em for a monkey each - how's that for a Tina
Turner?"

BARRY WHITE = FRIGHT

Sample sentence: "Crikey, that 'Blair Witch Project'
gave me a right old Barry!"

Sinead O'Conner     -- doner
George Michael      -- cycle (v.)
Fatboy Slim         -- gym