"Native American" and variations thereof (2)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 11 13:15:03 UTC 2001

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

> >The earliest usage of "Native American" that I know of occurs in "Native
> >American Church", which according to the Encyclopedia Britannica (15th
> >edition, 1987, volume 8 page 554 article "Native American Church") took that
> >name in 1918.
>
> "Native American" used as = "American Indian": this is older than one might
> suppose. From a casual glance at MoA (Cornell):

I have an article forthcoming in American Speech concerning the origins of
the term "Native American."  The earliest citation I was able to find was
1737.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,