"Native American" and variations thereof (2)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 11 00:45:34 UTC 2001

At 8:07 AM -0500 1/11/01, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
>Adjective:
>
><<Equally untenable is the Jewish theory, (strongly advocated by the late
>Lord Kingsborough, author of _Mexican Antiquities_), which refers the
>entire native American population to the ten lost tribes of Israel ...>>
>
>-- "Origin and Characteristics of the American Aborigines", in "The United
>States Democratic review", 11:617, December 1842.

So that's not just the Mormon view, as I always thought.  As for
Eskimo and Inuit (in James Landau's earlier P.S.--

>P.S. I do not know why the people called "Eskimo" in the United States are
>known as "Inuit" in Canada.

--I've been "corrected" on at least one occasion in the U.S. when I
used the (presumably non-approved) "Eskimo".  Maybe the Canadians are
just in the vanguard here.I'm not sure whether the objection to
"Eskimo" is that it's too broad in its application or that it's too
closely associated with tales of blubber-eating, nose-rubbing,
wife-sharing and the like.

larry