Another query--linguistics in 1974?

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Thu Jan 11 17:22:32 UTC 2001

Frederick (Fritz) Newmeyer's books would be a very good source for your
query: _The politics of linguistics_ and _Linguistic theory in America_.
Also, the COSWL compilation _Women in the Linguistic Profession_ (ed. by
Penny Eckert, Cornell U Press) has some autobiographical essays, I think.

Lynne (who hadn't yet heard of linguistics in 1974)

--On Thursday, January 11, 2001 10:56 am -0600 Erin McKean
<editor at VERBATIMMAG.COM> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm really, really not trying to make anyone feel old, but would
> anyone like to post about what it was like to work in linguistics in
> 1974, or the mid-seventies in general? I'm assuming that linguistics
> wasn't well-known to the general public then. I'd welcome any
> pointers to off-line history-of-the-discipline stuff I could read
> about that time. (For some reason, linguists don't seem to be writing
> their memoirs in great numbers.)
>
> 1974 (in case you're wondering "why then?") was the year VERBATIM was
> founded.
>
> I was thinking about trying to do a Nexus search on the word
> "linguist(ic)(s)" to see what I hope would be an increase in
> frequency from 1970-2000. How useful do you db mavens think this
> would be?
>
> Hoping this isn't too off-topic; I probably should post on the
> LinguistList but y'all are so friendly. . .
>
> Thanks!
>
> Erin McKean
> editor at verbatimmag.com

M Lynne Murphy