South Dakotan 'yet'

Thu Jan 11 18:14:45 UTC 2001

At 11:35 AM 1/11/01 +0800, you wrote:
>At 3:40 PM +0000 1/11/01, Lynne Murphy wrote:
>>The below is from a transplanted Texan friend of mine in Sioux Falls.  AHD4
>>doesn't cover this 'yet'--can anyone else tell me anything about it?
>>
>>Lynne

And then there's the (apparently) redundant form "still yet," used along
the Ohio River.  A student of mine who uses it natively elicited responses
in her hometown of Portsmouth (or "Porchmouth"), Ohio to this
sentence:  "He still yet owns that old car."  Maximum responses in three
categories ranged from 20% personal use to 63% denial of personal use but
recognition of others' use of it to 90% non-recognition--the last by
teenagers.  So it's disappearing in this area (I've only heard it a couple
of times in Athens).  Has anyone else heard it, and where?