Another query--linguistics in 1974?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 11 05:23:22 UTC 2001

At 10:56 AM -0600 1/11/01, Erin McKean wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I'm really, really not trying to make anyone feel old, but would
>anyone like to post about what it was like to work in linguistics in
>1974, or the mid-seventies in general? I'm assuming that linguistics
>wasn't well-known to the general public then. I'd welcome any
>pointers to off-line history-of-the-discipline stuff I could read
>about that time. (For some reason, linguists don't seem to be writing
>their memoirs in great numbers.)
>
>1974 (in case you're wondering "why then?") was the year VERBATIM was founded.
>
>I was thinking about trying to do a Nexus search on the word
>"linguist(ic)(s)" to see what I hope would be an increase in
>frequency from 1970-2000. How useful do you db mavens think this
>would be?
>
>Hoping this isn't too off-topic; I probably should post on the
>LinguistList but y'all are so friendly. . .
>
>Thanks!
>
>Erin McKean
>editor at verbatimmag.com

You may want to look at Robin Tolmach Lakoff's paper "The Way We
Were", a memoir (published, if I'm not mistaken, in the Journal of
Pragmatics) of the era of the late 1960's and early 1970's from the
perspective of a generative semanticist.  There's also a lot of stuff
in the histories of the Linguistics Wars written by Newmeyer, Harris,
and Goldsmith & Huck.

larry