Another query--linguistics in 1974?

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 12 00:32:04 UTC 2001

> >I was thinking about trying to do a Nexus search on the word
> >"linguist(ic)(s)" to see what I hope would be an increase in
> >frequency from 1970-2000. How useful do you db mavens think this
> >would be?

Very unuseful.  Nexis has very little material before 1975, and doesn't
really hit its stride until 1980.  Even after 1980, the size of the
database grows substantially over time.  Any frequency study over time
needs to be adjusted to reflect the growth in database size.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,