Safire Watch (continued)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 14 03:35:48 UTC 2001

I don't want to get into the middle of Barry's vendetta against William
Safire, but let me say this:  I think it is wrong that the New York Times
generally will not print letters correcting errors in the "On Language"
column.  But Barry's criticism of Safire is clearly excessive.  As is his
criticism of Safire's assistant, who presumably doesn't respond to Barry
because of the latter's relentless attacks.

As the person whose posting about "even a dog" is quoted in tomorrow's "On
Language" column, I also want to note that I don't feel Ms. Phillips
"used" ADS-L.  Barry calls her actions "Most troubling, of course," but I
don't see how they are troubling at all.  Quite the contrary -- her
inquiries and Mr. Safire's use of responses thereto are one of the most
interesting aspects of this list.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,