trains and Harry Potter was: Re: crumpets & muffins

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Jan 19 09:02:28 UTC 2001

--On Thursday, January 18, 2001 7:19 pm -0500 Tony Glaser
<tonyglaser at MINDSPRING.COM> wrote:

>> I go to the train station all the time here.  What else should I call it
>> here?
>
> I don't think I had ever heard of a "train station" until I came to
> the US. In the UK it would surely be called a "railway station" or
> just "station".

Ah, 'railway station'--you're right.

> You're quite right. Was there another Harry Potter book which got its
> title changed perhaps?

No.  The others are common to UK and US.

Lynne

M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
University of Sussex