Redd Up / Read Up?

Mon Jan 22 21:20:10 UTC 2001

I'm quite sure Michael Montgomery could translate the entire sentence!
But we have "redd up" in southern Ohio too, though the young people tend
not to use it.  The Scots Irish tradition is strong here, migrating
westward from Pennsylvania, Maryland, etc. (it's not really "Elizabethan"
anymore, of course, in No. Ireland or here, but there are some continuing
influences).  Pennsylvania speech isn't "unique" either; the folks there
just think it is!