Stuffed Pizza; Tequila Mockingbird; Harvey Wallbanger

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jan 23 09:09:27 UTC 2001

STUFFED PIZZA

The claim as to the invention of the tart-like "stuffed pizza," with fillings of cheese, meats, vegetables or other combinations of ingredients, in January of 1974 is made by Nancy's Restaurant of Chicago, whose owners, Nancy and Rocco Palese, based the idea on an Italian Easter cake called _scarciedda_.
--John Mariani, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK (1999)

January 1977, CHICAGO.
(No "stuffed pizza" ads--ed.)

January 1978, CHICAGO, pg. 1139, col. 4:
ARMINIO'S ITALIAN RESTAURANT AND LOUNGE
   STUFFED PIZZA
&
   THIN CRUST

January 1978, CHICAGO, pg. 1142, col. 1:
PETE'S PIZZA
THICK--PAN--STUFFED

January 1978, CHICAGO, pg. 1142, col. 1:
LA VILLA PIZZA
"STUFFED" PIZZA & ALL VARIETIES

January 1978, CHICAGO, pg. 1143, col. 4:
VINCE'S ITALIAN RESTAURANT
   STUFFED PIZZA

July 1981, CHICAGO, pg. 92, col. 1 ad:
GIORDANO'S
Stuffed Pizza
IN THE PAN
Originators of the Fabulous Stuffed Spinach Pizza
436-2969
3214 W. 63rd

(In January 1978, Giordano's advertised "Home of Pizza in the Pan."  Nancy's had no ad, but would, in the 1980s, be called Nancy's Stuffed Pizza.  I'll be continuing with NATION'S RESTAURANT NEWS in the 1970s for "stuffed pizza," "Hawaiian pizza," "California roll," "(yogurt) smoothie," and others--ed.)

TEQUILA MOCKINGBIRD

   I just like the name.
   From THE SERVER, January 1967, pg. 30, col. 1:

Another recipe we'd like to pass along, courtesy of Pepe Lopez tequila is:
   Tequila Mockingbird
1 jigger tequila
1/2 jigger green creme de menthe
juice 1 lime
Shake well with crushed ice, strain into cocktail glass.  Garnish with lime.

HARVEY WALLBANGER

   I just like the name.
   From BAR SERVER, July-August 1970, pg. 31, col. 1:

_Have a Harvey Wallbanger_
PROFIT:  What?  You don't know what a Harvey Wallbanger is?  Just the greatest drink refresher (it restores the spirits) for Sunday morning...although we do know for a fact that it tastes great on a sunny Saturday afternoon.  As this table tent points out (Illustration to right--ed.), here's how:
Harvey Wallbanger
   1 oz. Vodka
   6 oz. orange juice
Stir with ice and then splash in 1/2 oz. Galiano.  Serve on-the-rocks or straight up.

PINA COLADA (continued)

   From BAR SERVER, May-June 1968, pg. 32, col. 1:

Everyone returning from the Islands (Col. 2--ed.) has a remembrance of palm trees and coconuts.  The Caribe Hilton serves a drink that is sure to bring back the flavor of Puerto Rico, because it has the coconut right in it.  Its name is the Pina Colada, and it is as unforgettable as the island breezes.
_Pina Colada_
2 oz. coconut cream
6 oz. pineapple juice
2 oz. gold rum
Shake well in crushed ice in a blender.  Serve in a Collins glass and garnish with pineapple sticks.

(I should have mentioned that the 1966 cite in this publication from a Su Casa restaurant was from Chicago.  It had questions marks on the menu.  This cites the Caribe Hilton, but I did not find "pina colada" on 1950s Caribe Hilton drinks lists--ed.)