English muffins = crumpets

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 24 22:02:35 UTC 2001

>I've checked some on-line grocery stores to try to find you
>some pictures, but no luck.

Crumpet picture:
http://www.viewimages.com/viewimage/?imageid=70055&promotionid=1&partnerid=2&type=results

It looks like an English muffin, but this is a *toasted* crumpet. English
muffins are split before being toasted, while a crumpet (apparently) is not.

An amendment to my earlier posting of crumpet and English muffin recipes.
I've seen homemade English muffins being made. You put a scant amount of raw
cornmeal onto the griddle before putting the dough on the griddle. This adds
to the external firmness, and also seems to help prevent sticking.

Another distinction between an English muffin and a crumpet is that an
English muffin is made from a dough, whereas a crumpet is made from a batter
(but both are made with yeast). As has been stated, a crumpet is cooked on
only one side, while an English muffin is cooked on both sides.