"Let me noodle it"

Gregory {Greg} Downing gd2 at IS2.NYU.EDU
Thu Jan 25 02:12:38 UTC 2001

At 07:53 PM 1/24/2001 -0600, Mark Odegard <markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>Umm. For some reason, this sense of 'noodle' would sound 'more correct' as
>'doodle'. Doodling on the piano is much like doodling on paper: aimless
>designs. I don't use either of them in this sense.

In the post to which you're responding here, I was simply describing, to the
best of my ability, and given limited time and my own particular level of
information. I wasn't making a prescriptive evaluation. But all of us are
entitled to our tastes! (And I've noticed that all of us have them, even
when they are expressed not as overtly prescriptivist attitudes but instead
as disapproval of the prescriptivistic tastes of others!)

In any event, here's one of scores if not hundreds of cites I could offer
from music-related emails in my old inboxes. I only had to search six days'
worth of posts before hitting this (emphasis added):

Greg Downing, at greg.downing at nyu.edu or gd2 at is2.nyu.edu