"chad" apparently did not fly about

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Jan 25 03:51:49 UTC 2001

    Douglas Wilson's e-mail today (Jan. 24) speculates that the chad
might have flown all over and may therefore be likened to lice
("chats").  Hence (so the theory) "chad" may derive from this "chats"
or better yet from "chads" (same meaning), assuming that this latter
form actually existed.

    However, on Jan. 14 I received a reply from Chris Jensen, who had
earlier told me of his familiarity with the term "chad" from 1952.
His Jan. 14 e-mail responded to a general question I had asked him
about whether chad had ever been a nuisance. His reply is now
relevant to Douglas Wilson's speculation about "chad" from "chat"
(=louse). Evidently this speculation is unlikely to pan out, because
the chad did not fly around all over but was neatly caught in a
chad-catcher.

    But even if Mr. Wilson's "chat" (louse) speculation turns out to
be incorrect, his discovery of the earliest attestation thus far
(1940) is a source of congratulation and celebration. We of course
all await the opportunity to learn the details.

    Meanwhile, here is Mr. Jenson's e-mail to me, followed by Douglas Wilson's:

******