"the whole nine yards"; an army officer writes

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Jan 26 01:52:41 UTC 2001

    Another pleasant development from the Jan. 2 WSJ article about
Barry Popik is that he was contacted by an army officer who has long
been interested in "the whole nine yards." Barry forwarded his e-mail
to me, and with permission granted from both parties, I now share the
message with ADS-L.  Its main importance is that it places "the whole
nine yards" back into a an Air Force context, even though there are
still no attestations from World War II.

--Gerald Cohen