Waitron

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 26 00:47:34 UTC 2001

At 8:00 AM -0500 1/26/01, Steve K. wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, davemarc wrote:
>
>>  There was a minor "New Wave" hit with lyrics along the lines of "I am a
>>  waitron./I live in Washing-ton."  My guess is that it was recorded c. 1982.
>>  I'm trying to get more details.
>
>That would be Tru Fax & The Insaniacs; the song, "Washington"
>
>See: http://www.trufax.com/trufaxmem.html
>
>--- Steve K.
But from the web site, it appears that they rhymed "waitron" with
"Washingtron", not with "Washington", which provides independent
support for reconstructing secondary-stress [a] rather than
unstressed schwa in the second syllable of "waitron".  (Provided, of
course, that "Washingtron" was pronounced as in "neutron" too, an
assumption that I find inescapable.)

larry