schedule --pronunciation

Sonja L. Lanehart lanehart at ARCHES.UGA.EDU
Fri Jan 26 22:47:52 UTC 2001

In discussing phonetics and morphology in my Introduction to English
Language class yesterday, at least 2 U.S. born and raised students
said their pronunciation of 'schedule' is with 'sh' and not 'sk'. I
was a bit skeptical since we were playing a game and their phonemic
transcriptions were important to winning the prize. Still, they stood
by their claim and none of the other students objected to their
claims. In fact, they seemed to actually have some level of support
from their classmates--even the ones on competing teams.    --SL

>Schedule with a 'sh', rather than a 'sk'--do Canadians use it?
>Do any Americans use it besides the crowd with whom I used to affect it?
>
>FWIW, I seem to hear Britons saying 'skedule' much of the time...
>
>Lynne
>
>M Lynne Murphy
>Lecturer in Linguistics
>School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences
>University of Sussex
>Brighton BN1 9QH
>UK
>
>phone +44-(0)1273-678844
>fax   +44-(0)1273-671320

Sonja L. Lanehart
Department of English      706-542-2260 (office)
University of Georgia      706-542-1261 (messages)
300 Park Hall              706-542-2181 (fax)
Athens, GA 30605-6205      lanehart at arches.uga.edu