schedule --pronunciation

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon Jan 29 18:19:48 UTC 2001

"D. Ezra Johnson" <ezra_50 at HOTMAIL.COM> writes:

Nancy Elliott writes:

Captain Picard says 'skedule' in "Star Trek: The Next Generation." When I
first heard it, I assumed someone had told Patrick Stewart he ought to
pronounce it that way for his American audience.

Captain Picard is supposed to be French, right? So maybe he doesn't have to
conform to British norms.

The other possiblity is diffusion of the [sk] pronunciation over the next
three centuries...
<<<<<

I don't know what the official line is on Picard; culturally he's a lot
more English. ST has never been noted for background consistency. I'll ask
around, though.

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
 Subcmdr. Marke'm, Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
                     http://world.std.com/~mam/
           http://world.std.com/~mam/klingon/Klingon.html