schedule --getting off topic

Drew Danielson drew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Mon Jan 29 19:04:22 UTC 2001

Lynne Murphy wrote:

> Picard grew up in France (he goes home in one episode and fights with his
> brother).  But with the Universal Translator they have in Star Trek, you
> don't know...maybe he's speaking French all the time, but we're hearing it
> as English (and it translates 'shedule' into 'skedule' for us Americans).

In a book I once read about an escapade had by the original ST crew
(Kirk's bunch) during the interrum between the series & the movies, they
refer to a Federation Standard language.  I am pretty sure I have heard
or read about Standard in other ST sources as well.  Perhaps this is the
language that is most often spoken aboard Federation ships and space
stations, and therefore the language that Picard speaks?  Otherwise, he
certainly has a very well-developed & out-of-place English accent for a
Frenchman.  Not that _all_ of the writers of the ST universe would be
consistent on a point like this....