Schedule (sk-/sh-?) etc. etc.

Tony Glaser tonyglaser at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Jan 30 00:01:34 UTC 2001

One group of Britons has used the "sk" pronunciation for a long time
- amateur radio operators, who refer to a "sked" (in writing and
verbally) as a prescheduled radio contact.

Also on the ham radio front, someone referred to various
telegraphers' abbreviations; 73 is best wishes, 88 is love and
kisses, and 55 is one only used (as far as I know) by German radio
hams, meaning "Hals- und Beinbruch" (cf. the "break a leg"
discussion).

A different topic: I was just at a fairly upmarket hotel in the
Georgia Sea Islands - the room service flyer was headed "Breakfast at
your beckon". Is this a wide use of the term, or a local one, or just
an error. I wonder if they meant to say "at your beckoning" or "at
your beck and call"?

And another Americanism vs. Englishism - when did "I couldn't care
less" get turned into it's exact opposite "I could care less" even
when the speaker means the former. I have never heard the latter in
England, or the former in the US.

Tony Glaser