schedule --pronunciation

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Tue Jan 30 09:44:45 UTC 2001

--On Monday, January 29, 2001 7:21 pm -0600 Mike Salovesh
<t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU> wrote:
> Illustration:
> This thread has reached respectable length, yet nobody has mentioned
> that Chicago has been an outpost of initial "sh" in "schedule" for about
> half a century.  This is largely the result of Eric P. Hamp's valiant
> tenacity in siding with sh. Hamp's dedication to SH while all the world
> around him uses S merits recognition and congratulation almost as much
> as his better-known contributions to linguistics.

I assume that by 'Chicago' you mean 'the University of Chicago' (or maybe
'the Linguistics Department of the University of Chicago).  Hamp may be
influential, but I doubt he's _that_ influential!

Lynne

M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
University of Sussex