"Chain shift" defined

Herb Stahlke HSTAHLKE at GW.BSU.EDU
Tue Jan 30 16:48:16 UTC 2001

I'm sure glad I escaped Michigan before the NCVS spread into rural
areas south of Detroit.  I can only feel sorry for Dennis, who
grew up in one and is surrounded by the other.

Herb

>>> mkuha at BSUVC.BSU.EDU 01/30/01 10:01AM >>>
...by a student taking my Language and Society course: chain
shift is what
happens when "a word is mispronounced and over time it gets
worse". I
trust all you people participating in the Northern Cities or in
the
Southern shifts will take note and mend your ways.

-Mai
Mai Kuha                  mkuha at bsuvc.bsu.edu
Department of English     (765) 285-8410
Ball State University