The Spelling of Cannot

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Tue Jan 30 18:01:43 UTC 2001

Dale Coye <Dalecoye at AOL.COM> writes:

Every year I'm amazed at how many of my freshmen and sophomores do not seem
to ever have heard that 'cannot' is written as one word.     I can only
conclude that many high school teachers aren't aware of it either... so maybe
we're in the midst of a change-- I don't think any dictionaries list it as
two words? (Too lazy to look right now)
<<<<<

Some of the blame may belong to the popular fantasy writer Piers Anthony,
who always spells it "can not". That is among the many habits of his that
have ceased to bother me since I quit reading him.

-- Mark A. Mandel