Celtic (was: schedule --pronunciation)

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Tue Jan 30 18:05:38 UTC 2001

Mike Salovesh <t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU> writes:

Hamp's heroic persistence has also taught many students, perhaps even a
dozen of us, that "celtic" (with or without initial capital C) is
properly pronounced with an initial k in all contexts save basketball.
An additional handful of Hamp- influenced scholars may not go quite that
far, but still use the s/k alternation in "celtic" as a case of the
kentum/chentum/sentum/tsentum lines of dialect separation in European
languages.
<<<<<

Well, here in the Boston area there is plenty of Celtic music on the radio,
always /'kEl.tIk/. But, of course, this *is* the home of the Boston
/'sEl.tIks/.

P.S.:  I should have added a clarification that the example of "celtic",
unlike America, does not go from C to shining C.  The second C in celtic
is phonemic /s/. See what I mean about my pathological urge to say the
obvious?
<<<<<

-- Mark