Pronouncing Celtic

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Wed Jan 31 09:58:52 UTC 2001

My thanks to Mark Mandel, who called attention to my error in the
following:

P.S.:  I should have added a clarification that the example of "celtic",
unlike America, does not go from C to shining C.  The second C in celtic
is phonemic /s/. See what I mean about my pathological urge to say the
obvious?
<<<<<

Of course what I meant to say was "The second C in celtic is NEVER
phonemic /s/." I'm sorry that I made an S of myself.

Mark is quite right about /k/ appearing as both the initial and the
final consonant in Celtic as the word is pronounced by many in Boston.
Hamp himself used to attribute his pronunciation of both schedule and
Celtic to the lingering influence of his Bostonian background.

-- mike salovesh  <salovesh at niu.edu>   PEACE !!!