gillygalou bird

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Tue Jul 3 15:01:17 UTC 2001

This item apparently comes from Canadian French, but it was observed in
Canadian English. Does anyone recognize it or have an idea about it? A
correspondent asks:

My paternal grandfather was all French-Canadian
[...], and my father's standing April Fool joke came
from him.  It was (caution, semi-phonetic spelling of
word(s) no French speaker I've ever asked has recognized):

"Look, look!!  There's a gillygalou bird!"

Ever seen/heard that before?
<<<<<

-- Mark

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com