Bethany...

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Tue Jul 3 20:53:45 UTC 2001

The person who posted this to Bethany should be excluded from the list,
since he is not adhering to its terms, and his harassing behavior should be
reported to his ISP.  He is not taking part in the discussion, not actually
addressing the points that Bethany made, but rather making ad hominem
attacks.  In a debate over the role of intention in offensiveness, I think
this guy's intentions come through loud and clear.  He will go off and tell
his friends that those "intellectuals" find him too much of a threat, but
we'll know the real reason he doesn't belong here--that he doesn't know how
to behave in an e-mail list.  Was Bethany the only participator he
targetted?

Btw, a lot of people have been asking for the list moderator to come in and
do something about potentially offensive posts, but the list has no
moderator.  See: http://www.americandialect.org/adsl.shtml.

Lynne

--On Tuesday, July 3, 2001 4:06 pm -0400 "Bethany K. Dumas"
<dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU> wrote:

> I want to be certain that everyone on the list gets to enjoy the
> high intellectual content of the private message I just received.
>
> Bethany

M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
University of Sussex