gillygalou bird

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 3 22:32:12 UTC 2001

In a message dated 07/03/2001 11:28:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
douglas at NB.NET writes:

> The gillygaloo bird lays square eggs so they won't roll away.

I beg to differ.  According to Louis Untermeyer _The Wonderful Adventures of
Paul Bunyan_ New York: The Heritage Press, 1945

<quote>
     The Pinnacle Hen, true to its name, lived on the top of the mountains.
Big as an ostrich, her peculiarity was that she had only one wing; so she
kept on flying around in circles.  She could steer herself up and down and
sideways, but never in a straight line.  Since she made her nest on the very
peak of the mountain and since she could always perch on a cloud, she was
content.  Besides, she didn't have anywhere to go.
    Another peculiarity about the Pinnacle Hen was that she laid square eggs.
 This was a good and sensible thing, for it prevented them from slipping out
of the nest and rolling down the mountain.
</quote>

      - Jim Landau

P.S.  Once in college I got up early on Easter Sunday and left Easter baskets
for my friends.  For one of them, a chain smoker, I put a package of
cigarettes in his basket.  Forever after he referred to me as "the Jewish
Easter Bunny who lays square eggs."