begging the question

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Jul 6 17:52:41 UTC 2001

Responding to George Thompson, Peter A. McGraw writes:

Using "beg the question" synonymously with "raise the question" seems
pretty widespread in broadcast journalism.  It certainly isn't confined to
sportscasters: I hear it all the time on ABC News and I think also NPR.  I
think this usage was discussed awhile back on this list.
<<<<<

Not just in journalism. I noticed it this week in Steven K.Z. Brust's
newest fantasy novel, _Issola_ (Tor Books, July 2001. ISBN: 0-312-85927-9).

ObDis: I have no commercial connection with Steven Brust or Tor Books.
I am just a serious fan of his writing:
 http://world.std.com/~mam/Cracks-and-Shards/

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com
                     (speaking for myself)