GAT in NY Times; Greenland words

Barry Popik bapopik at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 7 22:54:06 UTC 2001

   Greetings from Copenhagen and a really lousy computer.  I leave for
Iceland in a few hours.
   My guide wasn't too clear on port or starboard. Sorry for any error in
that message.

BASEBALL IN 1823 NYC

   George A. Thompson's find about baseball was in Saturday's NY Times.
Must reading!
   Any other places as well?  Village Voice?  Baseball America?

GREENLAND WORDS

   A native guide had all day and gave me these:

ICE CUBES--"Penguin candy"  or seal.

GOSSIP--"Kamik mail."  (Kamik=boots--ed.)

BUTTERFLY (ON MEN'S NATIONAL ANORAK)--"Charm pop."

"Eskimo" actually means something close to "meateater," which is why
Greenlanders prefer "Inuit" (which by the way means "human being").

"Igloo" actually means "house" in general--not necessarly "house of ice."