A line for the ages...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 9 05:08:34 UTC 2001

This has really started to make the rounds.  A day after being
featured in that front page story in the Sunday Times, here it is
capping off the "This Week in Quotes" segment of the Baseball
Prospectus web site
(http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20010709wiq.html), following
a collection of quotes from ballplayers and executives:
====================
     "A lot of people say, 'Aw, chemistry is nothing.' But it's 100
percent of winning. And
     this team has the most unbelievable chemistry."
     --Matt Stairs, Cubs infielder

     "I didn't expect to pitch tonight. But when you do go, you expect
to pitch well. But we
     all have human arms and sometimes you have to say, `I'm not available.'"
     --Derek Lowe, Red Sox pitcher, on his workload and being used in
non-save situations

     "In case of emergency, break glass and whip him out."
     --Brian Cashman, Yankees general manager, on infielder Luis Sojo's role

     "I don't even think I've done it on PlayStation. That's a first
for me, all the way around,
     all the way up."
     --Geoff Blum, Expos outfielder, on hitting a home run from both
sides of the plate in a
     game

     "It's a cheap hobby, and it keeps me from falling into the
company of frolicsome
     women."
     --George A. Thompson Jr., NYU librarian, on why he spends hours a
week looking at
     microfilm of 19th century newspapers for ancient references to
predecessors of
     baseball