Icelandic & Danish terms

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Jul 11 09:56:19 UTC 2001

Ketchup on scrambled eggs wasn't unheard of where I grew up
(northeastern Massachusetts), either.  Actually, a friend of mine
has mentioned that a friend of hers in the Dominican Republic, of
all places, had her scrambled eggs with ketchup. I'll bet it's a pretty
widespread practice -- and an understandable one, too, considering
the insipidness of plain eggs and the incompatibility of most other
traditional American condiments (mustard, relish, mayo, thousand
island dressing) with them.

By the way, I have several friends who season their hot dogs with
ketchup.  They're quite respectable people, too!

Joanne Despres