dialect acquisition

Fri Jul 13 20:34:58 UTC 2001

Pit Corder suggested that our perceptions of language distance and
comparative difficulty affect L2 learning more than "real" differences do,
and J. Schachter, Jordens, Kellerman, and other early critics of the
classic Contrastive Analysis hypothesis added that perceptions of closeness
might delude learners into assuming an L2 would be no problem (Sue Gass
will have all these refs close "to hand," I'm sure).  But I have on my
shelf an old volume edited by Abrahams and Troike (our own) which includes
a couple of articles connecting this idea to second dialect acquisition as
well.  Muriel Saville-Troike and Virginia Allen discuss the implications of
teachers' thinking two dialects are so similar that no contrastive work
needs to be done; as they note, the fault is in the teachers, not the
kids.  And of course Labov has said the same thing with regard to teaching
African American kids to read--they speak English, after all, so what's the
problem?