Lower Slobbovia (geog.)

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Jul 16 01:42:33 UTC 2001

        "The USSR" may be an overly literal answer, but I believe it is in
substance correct.  Slobbovia is a communist country inhabited by Slavs and
with enormous amounts of snow.  The official L'il Abner web site states, at
http://www.lilabner.com/slobovia.html, that "Astute readers knew that Capp's
Slobbovia was a thinly disguised Siberia."  The name was probably affected
also by the name Inner Mongolia and by eastern European national names
generally.  I doubt if Slovenia specifically was much of an influence.

        I see that one source, http://www.toonopedia.com/abner.htm, asserts
that "druthers" and "irregardless" were first seen in L'il Abner.

John Baker