"Silicon" (geog.)

Nichols, Wendalyn WNichols at RANDOMHOUSE.COM
Mon Jul 16 21:18:11 UTC 2001

I have a soft spot for "Nether Wallop" myself.

**********************************
Wendalyn Nichols
Editorial Director
Random House Reference
280 Park Avenue
Mail Drop 10-5
New York, NY 10017
tel 212 572 2421
fax 212 572 4997
wnichols at randomhouse.com

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bowie [mailto:db.list at PMPKN.NET]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 11:10 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: "Silicon" (geog.)

From:    Lynne Murphy <lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK>
: <markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

: > The second factor is the paucity of place names that combine
: > with upper or lower (Upper Volta, now Burkina Faso is about
: > the only one that comes to mind).

: There are certainly a number of 'uppers' in the UK.  My
: favourite (so far) is the nearby Upper Dicker.  (I know of
: no Lower Dicker.)

My personal current favorite pair in in the suburbs of Philadelphia
PA--Upper Providence, which is paired with nearby (though not on any maps i
can find, now that i make sure of myself on Mapquest) Nether Providence.

The theological implications are staggering.

David Bowie                                       Department of English
Assistant Professor                            Brigham Young University
db.list at pmpkn.net              http://humanities.byu.edu/faculty/bowied
   The opinions stated here are not necessarily those of my employer