ya'll (was: Southern Advice)

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 16 22:27:30 UTC 2001

Like I said, I've been arguing the "y'all" vs. "ya'll" for at least the last
eight years.  I see no reason to prefer one deletion over the other.  Since I
do have this naturally in speech (and writing) and the second FEELS right,
I'm gonna stick to my guns (after I git me some, that is).  I see your point
about "ya'll" becoming "ya will" but to me that just doesn't make sense,
kinda like telling a Frenchman "hotels" starts with a /z/ (that elision
thing).  But like I said, I know I'm in the minority here.

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale