So don't I, so aren't I, etc.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 16 16:16:26 UTC 2001

exists--differ in their pragmatics, while agreeing in their
(truth-conditional) semantics.

larry
=============
Date:   Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:49:40 -0500
Sender: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From: Larry Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Subject:        Re: standardization of non-standard forms

At 4:49 PM -0500 3/11/98, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
Larry, I'd like to highlight just two phrases you cited (except that
I'm new to Eudora and don't yet know how to repeat just two lines and
not the whole business below): Does "So don't I" really mean "So do
I"? My impression was that it meant "Neither do I" (with the negation
retained but transferred from Aux to conj., to match a presumably
negative preceding clause)--and ditto with "So can't they." I once
asked Labov where these phrases are used, and he said New England, so
now I'll ask you, as an NE rep, to clarify. (And of course I agree
they're neither malapropisms nor mistakes.)

I haven't gone through all my messages, so I don't know if someone
else responded to Beverly on this, but the answer is yes, "So don't
I" = 'So do I'. It's essentially New England, as Labov said, and not
all of New England. Someone from DARE probably knows the
distribution, but it's at least extant here in Connecticut and in
Massachusetts. I've seen it in novels (labelled as local to some part
of New England) and in one memorable headline from the early 1970's
in the Boston Globe:

THE COLTS WANT THIS ONE? SO DON'T THE PATS

As seen here, it always follows a positive and the negation is
pleonastic. Whether there's a different construction found after
negatives I don't know.

Larry