cube steak

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 17 15:04:54 UTC 2001

<< this is all pure speculation. >>

Our pure speculation has resulted in interesting examples of folk etymology
in the making. Would it spoil the discussion to note the etymologies in
reasonably reliable dictionaries? Both the American Heritage, 4th edition,
and Merriam-Webster's Collegiate, 10th, have an entry for "cube" the verb
meaning "to tenderize (meat) by breaking the fibers with superficial cuts in
a pattern of squares" (AHD), hence "cube steak": "a thin slice of been
tenderized by cubing." MW's date for the latter is 1930, though perhaps Barry
has had something earlier - I've lost that thread.

In this instance OED seems to have no entry.

- Allan Metcalf