Mysa or Syra (whey); Subglacial Volcanism Definitions

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 17 15:55:44 UTC 2001

MYSA OR SYRA (WHEY)

   I wrote "myrsa"--the one term that's wrong.  It seems that there are two Icelandic terms for "whey"--"mysa" and "syra."  Neither is in the OED.
   From ICELAND INFORMATION GUIDE 2001-2002, pg. 81 (Icelandic Food--Milk Products):

   Still popular today are the centuries-old Icelandic specialties skyr and mysa (whey).  Classed as a fresh cheese, skyr is made from skimmed milk and is akin to yogurt, and the German "Quark."  Whey is a by-product in the making of skyr and is used in the pickling of slatur.  Traditionally, mysa was a popular thirst-quencher and still is today.  An ideal substitute for white wine when cooking fish.

   From THE ICELANDIC TRAVELLER (1989), pg. 217, taken from LETTERS ON ICELAND (1780) by Uno von Troil:

   The manner in which they bake it is thus: the flour is mixed with some fermented whey (_syra_), and kneaded into dough, of which they make cakes one foot in breadth, and three inches thick; these are boiled in water or whey, and then dried on a hot stone or an iron plate...

SUBGLACIAL VOLCANISM DEFINITIONS

   Google led me to this "Subglacial Volcanism Definitions" site at:

http://perseus.geology.ubc.ca/projects/subglacial/definition1.html

   It has the terms STAPI (table mountain), STAPAR, TUYA, and TINDARS.  OED?
   OED also doesn't have "shield glaciers," or ice-cap glaciers resting on a single mountain.  OED does have "shield volcanoes."
   From the pamphlet HVERAVELLIR: STOPOVER IN THE MOUNTAINS:

   Table mountains, _stapar_ such as Hrutfell, or tuff were formed in eruptions under glacial caps.  The shield volcano, or _dyngja_; Kjalhraun was formed by thinly flowing lava soon after the glaciers receded.

(FYI:  I have a day in Reykjavik tomorrow to visit libraries, I go to the Westman Islands on Thursday, and my flight back home is on Friday--ed.)