Mysa or Syra (whey); Subglacial Volcanism Definitions

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 17 18:53:51 UTC 2001

>I second Beverly's puzzlement as to why foreign terms that haven't been
>borrowed into English should be listed in the Oxford ENGLISH Dictionary.
>It's not the Oxford WORLD Dictionary, after all.
>
>Peter Mc.

The question is just how often a foreign term has to occur in English before
it can be considered English. My perception is that the rules here (such as
they are) are pretty liberal. Barry's terms all occur in English-language
documents; but then, these documents may be designed mainly for tourists and
the such, leaving a lot of local terms untranslated.

The vulcanological and glaciological terms should be vetted by experts.
OED2, so I understand, did not really revise the technical and scientific
entries. The current revision, as I understand it, is doing so, and many
many new terms will be added as the revision progresses thru the alphabet.