Badda bing badda boom

Michael michael at RFA.ORG
Wed Jul 18 15:17:27 UTC 2001

"ABANDONATED" sounds like something steve irwin
would say, should he fail to get himself "orientated"...

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 11:08 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Badda bing badda boom

   Popularized (perhaps) by SEINFELD, but I first recall it in either
(both?) of THE FLINTSTONES and THE HONEYMOONERS.

MISC.

HISTORIATED--Used in a manuscript museum in Reykjavik.  "Historiated and
decorated initials drawn and illuminated..."

ABANDONATED--Used by my tour guide, who's not sure if it's a word.

MANY MICKLES MAKE A MUTTLE--Seen in my ICELANDIC TRAVELLER book from the
1800s.  I haven't researched the phrase yet.

LANGSPIL--Icelandic musical instrument from at least the early 1800s.  OED?

ICELANDIC "HOWARD STERN"--My driver refers to everyone in Icelandic as part
of his family, as in "He's my great-great uncle."  He gave me the e-mail and
phone number of the Icelandic "Howard Stern" who wrote that slang book I
recently posted here.  I'm trying to invite him for dinner.  If you're
coming to Iceland or are interested in his books, it's Sverri Stormsker,
tel. 562-3992, stomsker at centrum.is.
(My guide wrote stomsker, not stormsker--ed.)