Hindian (was: Tea & Pee)

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Jul 20 23:47:57 UTC 2001

I first encountered it on signs used by Tamil-speaking people of the
southern state of Madras (now Chennai) demonstrating against the
imposition of Hindi on Tamilians and other Dravidians. Just a jocular
nonce word, I guess, but I thought it was very expressive. This must
have been about 20 years ago. I don't recall hearing it again, but I use
it occasionally when asked why I don't speak Hindi after having lived
and worked in New Delhi for nearly three years, the real reason being I
don't have the gift of the gab. I am satisfied with Malayalam.

TOM PAIKEDAY